Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Comments on a Tuesday Morning

Hello All,

First of all thanks for all your responses. They make this 'blogging' stuff kind of fun.

Today I thought I’d blog about our Tuesday 7:30 meeting. It should get posted Monday if you choose to view it. We tried to post on Wednesday, but ran into technical problems. Our editing MAC computer crashed. . . again.

We had the usually doom and gloom stuff that really make it a great way to start your morning, you know “we are in a recession and heading towards a depression” go out and buy a gun because people will be going crazy. The whole time I fantasize about following Robert’s, or Papa Money as I like to call him, advice and getting a gun, but then I’d want to shoot myself so I can stop listening to this flood of misery.

But then Robert or Papa Money kind of switched gears and turned the “kill me now” speech into a lesson about leadership. He makes a great point that there are four different kinds of people: people who must be liked, must be comfortable, must be right or must win. Of course this begs the question about ‘tweeners. There must be ‘tweeners, kind of the transsexuals of the types, red stiletto heals with a big hairy beard sort of feel. These Trans-types could have parts of “must be comfortable” AND “must be liked.” We could call them comfikers. . . or something. Maybe likforts. I don’t know.

Anyways, each kind of person needs a different leadership style to get the most out of them. Not just people. Different situations also require a different style of leadership.

So this leadership style is on a scale from 9.1 to 9.9.
A 9.1 Is a lot like my dominatrix’s style. Zero listening and a lot of barking. I know every time she speaks there is going to be spit flying and unless I’ve let my earwax build up, my ears will be ringing for hours.
A 9.9 style of leadership is all buddy buddy. Like a stoned out hippy from the sixty living the love and peace lifestyle or like a boss I had who was always trying to get in my pants. They talk to you like they are a smooth jazz DJ and the only thing they care about is your happiness. Course he kind of turned into a 9.1 style when I kept saying “no”.
Now those are the two extremes; there are multiple styles in between these. The point is that a good leader is versatile enough to be a 9.1 AND a 9.9 and a good leader can read an individual and the situation and know where he/she needs to be on the scale to get the desired response from the follower.

After our meeting we have our, “I feel like saying” meeting. Here we all sit in a circle, hold hands and sing songs. After the singing we all go around the circle and say whatever is on our minds. Bob, who also blogs here used his time to discuss the Peak Oil theory… What a comfiker!

Jack B. Comfiked

No comments: